GMHP supports national campaign to #FixTheHousingCrisis
This week saw GMHP members come together to support a week of action for the ‘Fix the Housing Crisis’ campaign – led by the National Housing Federation.
The campaign seeks to raise awareness of the housing crisis and encourage the next government to not only invest in the housing market to help tackle the crisis, but also work closely with housing associations to do so.
The campaign focuses on five specific priorities:
1) Build more social housing by investing £12.8bn a year for the next ten years to enable 145,000 homes to be built each year, including 90,000 for social rent and 25,000 for shared ownership. This amount will mean we can meet the housing demand – for good.
2) Make sure everyone feels safe in their home by calling the Government to establish a Building Safety Fund to help make all houses safe and secure.
3) Invest in places to bring the country together by creating a Great Places Fund. This will help to drive economic growth and social renewal in parts of England that have been left behind.
4) Prioritise delivering a new deal for social housing which has residents at the heart
5) Develop a fair and effective support and welfare system and long-term funding for supported housing by improving Universal Credit.
GMHP and its members have been raising awareness of the week of action to help put social housing under the spotlight by engaging with local MPS, publicising pictures of members with the campaign board and actively promoting the campaign via social media to spread the message far and wide.